INCIDENCE OF DYSPHAGIA IN COVID-19 PATIENTS POST EXTUBATION.
Introduction: The covid-19 pandemic has resulted in several hospitalizations and deaths. Many patients are admitted to an intensive care unit to receive invasive ventilation. Despite having the tools and techniques for orotracheal intubation a large number of patients can lead to swallowing impairments following extubation. Dysphagia can be a consequence of prolonged hospitalization in intensive care units due to severe SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia. Objective: To verify the incidence of dysphagia in patients with covid-19 after mechanical ventilation extubation. Method: Observational, descriptive, study of SARS-CoV-2 patients admitted into the intensive care unit. Results: A total of 29 patients were admitted into intensive care unit for intubation and mechanical ventilation and they were successfully extubated. And 82.7% of patients that underwent speech-language assessment of swallowing had some level of dysphagia. Conclusions: Dysphagia affects several patients post extubation due SARS-COV-2.
1. WHO coronavirus disease (COVID-19) dashboard. https://covid19.who.int. Date accessed: November 20, 2020.
2. Sepulchre E, Pittie G, Stojkovic V, et al. Covid-19: contribution of clinical characteristics and laboratory features for early detection of patients with high risk of severe evolution. Acta Clin Belg. 2020 Sep 16:1-7.
3. Botta M, Tsonas AM, Pillay J, et al. Ventilation management and clinical outcomes in invasively ventilated patients with COVID-19 (PRoVENT-COVID): a national, multicentre, observational cohort study, The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, Oct 2020.
4. Reiter R, Brosch S. Update oropharyngeal dysphagia part 2: etiology and therapy. Laryngorhinootologie. 2012;91(5):291–9.
5. Brodsky MB, Levy MJ, Jedlanek E, et al. Laryngeal Injury and Upper Airway Symptoms After Oral Endotracheal Intubation With Mechanical Ventilation During Critical Care: A Systematic Review. Crit Care Med. 2018;46(12).
6. Schefold JC, Berger D, Zürcher P, et al. Dysphagia in Mechanically Ventilated ICU Patients (DYnAMICS): A Prospective Observational Trial. Crit Care Med. 2017;45(12).
7. Zuercher, P., Moret, C.S., Dziewas, R. et al. Dysphagia in the intensive care unit: epidemiology, mechanisms, and clinical management. Crit Care 23, 103 (2019).
8. World Health Organization/Europe. COVID-19 exposes the critical importance of patient rehabilitation. https://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/health-emergencies/coronavirus-covid-19/news/news/2020/4/covid-19-exposes-the-critical-importance-of-patient-rehabilitation. Date accessed: November 20, 2020.
9. Vergara J, Skoretz SA, Brodsky MB, Miles A, Langmore SE, Wallace S, Seedat J, Starmer HM, Bolton L, Clavé P, Freitas SV, Bogaardt H, Matsuo K, de Souza CM, Mourão LF. Assessment, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Dysphagia in Patients Infected With SARS-CoV-2: A Review of the Literature and International Guidelines. Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2020 Nov 12;29(4):2242-2253.
10. Crary MA, Mann GD, Groher ME. Initial psychometric assessment of a functional oral intake scale for dysphagia in stroke patients. Arch Phys Med Rehab. 2005 Aug; 86(8):1516-20.
11. Dobak S, Kelly D. Tough Pill to Swallow: Postextubation Dysphagia and Nutrition Impact in the Intensive Care Unit. Nutr Clin Pract, 36 (1) (2021 Feb 1), pp. 80-87.
12. Laguna LB, Marcos-Neira P, Zurbano IML, Marco EM, Guisasola CP, Soria CDV, Martí PR. Dysphagia and mechanical ventilation in SARS-COV-2 pneumonia: It's real. Clinical Nutrition, 23 Nov 2021.
13. Miller B, Tornari C, Miu K et al. Airway, voice and swallow outcomes following endotracheal intubation and mechanical ventilation for COVID-19 pneumonitis: preliminary results of a prospective cohort study. Research Square, August 2020.
14. Macht M, Wimbish T, Clark BJ, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of post-extubation dysphagia: Results from a national survey. Journal of Critical Care, Volume 27, Issue 6, 2012.
15. Lima MS, Sassi FC, Medeiros GC, Ritto AP, Andrade CRF. Functional development of swallowing in ICU patients with COVID-19. CoDAS, 32(4). Epub October 07, 2020.
16. Frajkova Z, Tedla M, Tedlova E, Suchankova M, Geneid A. Postintubation Dysphagia During COVID-19 Outbreak-Contemporary Review. Dysphagia. 2020 Aug;35(4):549-557.
17. Larminat V, Montravers P, Dureuil, B, Desmonts, JM. Alteration in swallowing reflex after extubation in intensive care unit patients. Critical Care Medicine: March 1995 - Volume 23 - Issue 3 - p 486-490.
18. Brodsky MB, Pandian V, Needham DM. Post-extubation dysphagia: a problem needing multidisciplinary efforts. Intensive Care Med. 2020 Jan;46(1):93-96.
Copyright (c) 2022 Revista Interdisciplinar de Pesquisa e Inovação
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.